Chocolate Cannabis Swirled Meringue Cookies
The holiday’s make me feel so happy! I have always loved making meringue, but this year I’m stepping it up and sharing Chocolate Cannabis Swirled Meringue Cookies with you.
Recently, I turned 40 years old. And while I was feeling great about it, I also felt that I ate way too much cake, cookies, and indulged a little too much! (yes, there IS such a thing!)
I had a very small celebration with just my immediate family, which was absolutely perfect, and when I got home I can’t believe it: I ate MORE!
I like to watch what I eat, and am really trying to stay fit during COVID – but it’s not easy when so many tasty and delicious Cannabis recipe distractions to catch my eye.
Am I right? Do you feel the same too?
So, I figure let’s keep going, let’s keep baking and making delicious edibles and end this year with a big, fat…. bang of weed cookies, sweets and treats!
Making Meringue with Cannabis Sugar
Making meringue is simply sweet. Easy too!
Made mostly from egg whites and sugar, meringue cookies are piped onto baking sheets and baked at a low temperature.
Why the low temp? Because this ensures the merginues keep their shape and won’t melt immediately.
A perfect meringue is crispy in the edges, and puffy or cloud-like in the center.
How Do I Make Cannabis Sugar
Making Cannabis sugar is also super sweet!
Servings: 4 Cups
THC: 1400 mg per batch
Add 4 cups of sugar into a glass bowl.
Add ½ cup of cannabis tincture and mix well with the sugar.
Line a tray with parchment paper, and even spread the sugar over the parchment paper in a thin layer.
Let stand overnight.
Using a solid object, like a bottle, can or the bottom of a glass, crush up the cannabis sugar to remove the lumps. You can also do this step in a food processor, or blender.
You can also do this step in a food processor, or blender. Store the weed infused sugar in a cool dry place.
Serving: 1Tbsp | Calories: 48kcal
Every time I read the word: “merengue” I think of one of my favorite Latin dances, and when I am beating the egg whites, I play Latin music because, for me, it just works. ( and it’s fun!!)
Here’s your grocery list of ingredients:
- Egg Whites: Beat your egg whites into stiff peaks. Egg whites are the base of meringue cookies, and I always want to just buy a carton of egg whites partly because I’m lazy, but for the best results use fresh eggs and separate them at room temp.
- Cream of Tartar: Here’s where you don’t want to go wrong. One time when my son was 5, I was asked to help make supplies for the classroom like playdough. The recipe that was provided said Cream of Tartar. I thought it meant the fish sauce! Was I wrong!! So make sure you get the powder form here, or you’ll have an epic fail.
Did you know? The acidity in cream of tartar powder helps the egg whites hold onto the air and makes them puffy, and perfect?!
- Salt: Salt offsets the sweetness and it’s the perfect balancer.
- Cannabis Sugar: It goes without saying that cannabis sugar will help you get that juicy high you’re after, but sugar is also needed to keep the meringues and protein together.
- Chocolate: For the recipe today, you will need 2 ounces of pure melted chocolate. Just grab a 4-ounce baking chocolate bar, and then use the leftovers to melt and dip the meringues in after! Sinful!!
Chocolate Cannabis Swirled Meringue Cookies
I have to admit, I am on a candy-cane kick. I’ve been baking and making anything I can think of that would include candy canes!
It’s once a year that I get to enjoy them, so here’s hoping you’ll share in my obsession this year!
I just crush them up in a ziplock bag and place a towel over top, and smash them with a rolling pin.
Let’s get Canna-baking, friends!
Electric Beater or Standing Mixer
Piping bags and attachments
double boiler/stove for melting chocolate
spatula & whisk
measuring cups & spoons
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted
- 3 large egg whites room temp
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan salt regular is fine
- 2/3 cup cannabis sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed candy canes optional, but SO good!
Preheat oven to 250°F (121°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Melt your chocolate on the stove using a double boiler, stirring often. Use a medium-high heat. As soon as it’s melted, set aside.
Next, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt together on high speed until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. With the mixer running on high speed, slowly add the cannabis sugar and beat until stiff glossy peaks form, about 2 more minutesNOTE: Don’t over beat!
Fold in the chocolate – don’t mix it in completely.
Use an open-star piping tip to your piping bag. Pour in your batter.
Pipe 1.5 inch swirls on your parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. They won’t get any bigger, so don’t worry too much about spacing.
You can top with crushed candy canes or any other sprinkle you like! Chocolate sprinkles are also perfect.
Bake for 1.5 hours and do NOT open the oven while baking!
When the timer goes off, let the meringues sit for another 30 minutes or until the oven has cooled completely.
Remove from oven, and use a flat spatula to take each meringue off the parchment paper. Store in a decorative tin, jar or cookie canister. Give as a gift, but make sure you label your edibles to avoid confusion! Enjoy!